[Typo3-doc] Reason for dropping DocBook...

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Thu Mar 24 11:16:45 CET 2005

Jean-Marie Schweizer <jms at marktauftritte.ch> writes:

> I realize that it cannot replace a Wiki as far as ease of writing
> content and get users to spontaniously write a few lines but I also
> come to the conclusion that if we want a professional documentation
> for TYPO3 neither the current typo3.org with SXW nor the Wiki can be
> it.

As far as I understand it, I think that Robert's vision is to have
have a layer like this timtaw <-> typo3.org <-> officelib / sxw, which
means you can go from sxw to web to wiki and back.

I think that's a pretty cool solution.

> For 2 we need a professional documentation solution (DocBook, LaTEX
> etc.) that allows us to structure, work in teams, follow guidlines and
> have everything in a format that can be converted in whatever we
> need. So far I only know of LaTEX and DocBook who can do that where
> DocBook follows the XML syntax.

I love LaTeX, I've used for numerous projects, still writes invoices
and stuff with it, but for this purpose i don't think it's good.

First, It's hard to parse it into HTML I think, I've never used it for
that. Maybe not.. Secondly, it's too lowlevel for a lot of people,
they can't cope with compiling their texts.

DocBOOK is XML which is good regarding parsing, but writing XML markup
by hand got to be one of the most annoying things. I mean that's why
we use a CMS in the first place right. As long as there ar no good
DocBOOK editors, I don't see this as an option.

Is SXW really that hopeless regarding structure and guidelines?
It is XML, it has a good frontend that's is widely known and
understanded.

--
-julle