[Typo3-doc] multiple languages on wiki

Franz Holzinger franz at fholzinger.com
Tue Jun 21 23:46:18 CEST 2005

Hello Peter,

>>But it would be good if this selector box would appear on every page
>>where another language is available.
>>
>>So I put the code
>>[snip]
>>to another page an change the URL destination.
>

> No need to do that! We (=Daniel Brüßler) have already made an
> template to make this possible.
> We have only inserted it to the About documentation header so
> far - for testing purposes. Look at the page mentioned above.

Thanks, I will look at it.

> What do other people in this list think? Should we have a
> language selector on every page?
>
> Mind that wiki pages change more frequently than OOo documents,
> so translations may be outdated quite fast... And we also risk
> that people put effort in translating instead of making new
> documents or improving old ones.
There are still many people outside you are not very good in English.
They also would like to use TYPO3. But there is nearly no Document in
another language than English. It is easier for someone to write some
lines on the wiki than to write a whole OO document.

> Daniel and I also suggest that we only translate individual
> pages and not the wiki structure. So the section pages and the
> Head-Xxxx templates should not be translated.
The headlines should be also translated because many people do not
understand English. At least in English, French and German. I think most
people will know one out of these three languages. Later coming Russian
and Chinese.

> Why that? Because otherwise we risk getting two (or more)
> parallel structures on the wiki, which will confuse visitors a lot.
But it can be demanded that all the structures must follow the English
pages.

> SO: navigate through english pages and switch to other language
> when you find useful information. Switch back to english again
> to continue navigate... and so on.
I would propose to make navigation trees for the 3 languages English,
French and German. Then more French and German speaking people would use
TYPO3.

Franz