[Typo3-doc] Future Main_Page

Sylvain Viart sylvain at ledragon.net
Fri Oct 1 16:46:27 CEST 2004

Hi Peter,

Peter Kindström wrote:
> But I think the most important link (Document Matrix) is "hard" to find!

Yes may be. :-\

What's your suggestion ?
I'm trying to introduce visual aid too, with icon, font, color...

I don't think the section I call the document Matrix (name taken from
typo3.org), should be so big. You said 90%, I would say 20%, let's have
a look together about the Draft_Main_Page proposed structure:

- Only the left column contains documentation, right ?
- «Live community» gives information about communicating with people
   through ML, GN what ever.
- «DocTEAM» it's our section for writer.
- I already explained the «News» column purpose. :-)

So, here is the proposed document hierarchy:

* Introduction       Should explain how it the whole documentation works
* Document Matrix    The top document of interest, may 10 to 15
    o By topic                          Some filtered for the list above
    o By level of technical knowledge   Idem
* Extension Manual  All EXT, grouped together until we find better
* the FAQ           All existing FAQ and HOWTO and every collectible
* Videos            The Video commented, is was your suggestion, right ?
* the Glossary      The famous document by keyword
* Articles          Every *well* documented example left
* Live Examples (testsite)   a TYPO3 site for testing and example

> About the rest of you answer: It sounds like we don´t agree... and I
> have no problem with that!

You're right and difference is perfect for construction and production
of a better documentation system for TYPO3. :-)

> It also sounds like this is your own project - and that the roadmap is
> already set! But probably your ideas have the support of the rest of the
> DocTeam?

Yes it's my *proposition*, as I'm trying to follow my sharing concept, I
write here and setup a draft page to work together. This permit to have
the best view for every one benefits. I do not impose any thing. :-)

As you said, «you have some enthusiasm». I've now a lot of enthusiasm,
trying to not reproduce the error made one year ago, when the DocTEAM
started the docteam.typo3.org project.

I'm a little confuse, I was thinking that the «roadmap» term was about a
spacial kind document. But reading your post, is seems it indicates a
kind of plan, right ?

> And in that case it is useless to continue this discussion.

That would be a big mistake, stopping exchanging our opinion, just
because we don't share the same vision. Just continue to explain why
you feel a certain way is better for the TYPO3 community. If I'm
convinced too, you can be sure to have my entire support. :-)

I'm learning a lot form your opinion. And as you seem producing some
content, it also gives me the challenge to convince you to join my effort
and share your document on the Wiki.

> I just started it to see if something had changed since I left the active
> participation of the DocTeam/wiki. It has changed, but not in the way I
> think is best for Typo3.

I'm really curious about what you think is the «best for TYOP3» ? :-)

> Personally, I still have some enthusiasm left. And now I start seeing
> where I want to go! I have made a new structure for my own wiki, I have
> a list over Editor/Admins documents that I think should be the official
> Typo3 documentation and I have TOCs for most of those documents.

I read this part, and I see a lot of potential, but it gives nothing, no
content I could feel or taste. ;-)

> My only remaining concern is how to cooperate with the rest of the
> community without "competing" with the Typo3Wiki. Any ideas for that?

Of course, a lot. Read above. ;-) If it's not sufficient, just come back
and I will do other proposal.

--
Best regards,
Sylvain.