[Typo3-doc] Different target groups for documentation --> Terms

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Tue Nov 30 10:46:28 CET 2004

Hi list,

to avoid further misunderstanding while discussing documentation issues we
should set up different terms that describe the different target groups.
As far as I can see we have three main groups splitted into different
subgroups.

The main groups are:

+ Developers
+ Administrators
+ Users

IMHO ...

... a developer is someone who is creating extensions and or core parts of
the system. This is not to be mistaken with someone who is creating
Templates, Design or things like that. A developer is someone who is working
_for_ TYPO3 in the first line and _with_ TYPO3 in the second.

... an administrator is someone who is setting up or maintaining the system
for endusers. Usually he is an Admin-User in the BE and/or has shell access
to the server. He creates TS-Templates, installs and removes Extensions
setting them up to fit the endusers needs and cares for updates and patches
of the source. An administrator is someone who is working _with_ TYPO3 in
the first line but focused on the BE.

... a user is someone who has restricted BE-Access. This might be anyone
from a simple editor that has access only to certain parts of the pagetree
up to a chief editor that controls the whole page tree and all the work of
the other editors. He might create HTML-Templates, design and content. A
user is someone who is working _with_ TYPO3 in the first line but focused on
the FE.

The problem is that you can't divide them into developer/client only, since
there might be different scenarios where the client has developers,
administrators _and_ users while there are others where the client has none
of them and the whole work is done by a consultancy.

Regarding the translation you could say:
Developers --> usually no translation needed but would be nice
Administrators --> translation would be useful
Users --> translation is a must

Regarding the available docs you could say:
Developers --> not that much but enough
Administrators --> more than enough but unstructured and therefor hard to
find
Users --> only a few documents, most of them not in English

So the main missions must be:
- Reviewing and restructuring the docs for administrators
- Creating and translating docs for users

As Jean Marie said these missions should be handled by two different teams.
I don't think that we have to wait for the structure of the administrator
docs, since this is a completely different task. I don't even think that
they should follow the same rules regarding structure, layout and design.

But first of all: Do you agree with me that we should use the terms
described above?

Joey