[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

Matthias Stübner news at stuebner.de
Fri Nov 26 13:36:16 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:57:01 +0100, JoH wrote:

>> So I would say that the main documentation should be in english,
>> translations are optional. Why not setting up a doc_matrix page for
>> each language? That would shorten the main (eng) page too?
>
> Well - at least in Germany you are forced by law to deliver German manual
> when you sell a piece of software or something based on a piece of software
> to your customer.

When "I" sell something than it is "my" task to document something, but not
the T3-teams task. BTW: I believe it was in the last CT where there was an
article about this, pointing out that it is even not defined what
documentation is...

> So in case you want to earn money with TYPO3 a translation is anything but
> optional.

Couldn't see that documentation has to be in local language, but even if,
isn't is the sellers part to take care about it?

> And IMHO it's not about taking care of these "not english reading guys" but
> about stopping these "not english writing guys" from polluting the
> documentation with crappy manuals that don't help a user any further. Any
> documentation should be written in the native language of the writer. If
> this is not English, the document has to be translated afterwards by someone
> who is a native speaker _and_ is able to write a good English documentation.

Your are right, but when can we welcome you back in reality? ;-) That is
what I alway complain about our marketing guys, they are also right many
times, IF they would have the resources to do so. Do you have these
resources? If not, your writing turns to a situation where you have a
number of docs that are waiting for translation, and nobody knows when and
whether it will happen. There I prefer english docs much more.

> If the programmer of the extension is not able to write good documentation
> in his native language he should leave it to someone who is able, handing
> over a draft that can be used as a working base.

Again, to whom does he hand over. If you have that person it is fine, but I
doubt that.

> If we want to lift TYPO3 docs to a higher level it's all about quality and
> not quantity and a good manual in another language is worth much more than a
> crappy one written in English.

Your are right, but not taking care the resources at all. With what you
want to have you need two things:

- many people who contribute OR/AND
- much money

Which one do you have? ;-)