[Typo3-doc] [Translation]

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Nov 26 12:57:01 CET 2004

>> To be honest: howmany percent of the TYPO3 admins and developers do
>> you think are not able to understand english? Are there statistics
>> about how often Pages in which languages are requested?
>
> I absolutely agree what you are writing. The number you are asking
> for is growing constantly, as more and more articles are written
> about T3. I DO NOT say that it is needed to take care of these "not
> english reading" guys, as they are (close to) 100% guys who are using
> T3 for their private website (as I do too), If they want to do so,
> they just have to learn, what is good anyway. ;-)
>
> So I would say that the main documentation should be in english,
> translations are optional. Why not setting up a doc_matrix page for
> each language? That would shorten the main (eng) page too?

Well - at least in Germany you are forced by law to deliver German manual
when you sell a piece of software or something based on a piece of software
to your customer.
OLG München - 10.7.1985 Az. 7 U 1501/85
So in case you want to earn money with TYPO3 a translation is anything but
optional.

And IMHO it's not about taking care of these "not english reading guys" but
about stopping these "not english writing guys" from polluting the
documentation with crappy manuals that don't help a user any further. Any
documentation should be written in the native language of the writer. If
this is not English, the document has to be translated afterwards by someone
who is a native speaker _and_ is able to write a good English documentation.
If the programmer of the extension is not able to write good documentation
in his native language he should leave it to someone who is able, handing
over a draft that can be used as a working base.

If we want to lift TYPO3 docs to a higher level it's all about quality and
not quantity and a good manual in another language is worth much more than a
crappy one written in English.

Joey