[Typo3-doc] IMPORTANT: new DocTEAM leader discussion / vote

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Thu Nov 11 21:36:13 CET 2004

Hi Franz,
> when someone votes for you, will this mean that the current wiki
> structure will be destroyed or 2 concurrent wiki structures will exist?

Of course we will not just delete everything! The biggest
problem with the current structure is that (I think!) it is not
finished yet! Or am I wrong???

For me the most important think is that anyone who starts a
restructuring work like this will finish it. And in this case I
also would like to see a complete (well mostly) structure
suggestion *before* any major change take place. (So that we can
see/feel that it will work with all wiki documents/pages)

I must admit that I don´t understand the current wiki strucure,
but if I become DocTeam leader I will sit down and try to figure
it out. IMHO the structure has to be improved in some way, if
people should be able to find documents...

 > I think it might sometimes be hard, if an article has to be
 > split into topics for users, administrators and developers.

Yes, but here I have a problem. This is my ideal Main page:
  - There should be only 4-8 distint sections
  - Every wiki page has to fit in
  - A document should fit into just *one* section

If you can meet the above, you have a good structure! But I
know, it *is* impossible to have *all* pages to fit perfectly
and at the same time have few disctint sections.

But IMHO the all/editor/admin/dev structure idea is *the best so
far*... Completed with "DocTeam corner", News and shortcuts to
Glossary and things like that.

My idea of viewing documents in other ways is to have different
subpages/guides listing documents...
  - in a matrix
  - for beginners
  - for extension developers
  - and so on

The difference between guides and the Main page would be that
guides don´t have to contain *all* wiki pages, but the Main page
should. (Maybe we could have a guide as the main page, and the
complete structure at a subpage... hmmm is that what you are
trying to do, Sylvain?)

One problem with documentation structure is that everyone have
his/her own idea of it. And as a consequence every compromise
will be rejected because it fits noone perfect...  ;-)
I have experienced this at work, so I know what to expect...  :-)

> Will there be a discussion about this, before the current structure will
> get deleted?

Well, I like to discuss it first! Hopefully the list will join
me, but they could be a little tired of dicussing the wiki
structure by now...  :-)

--

/Peter Kindström