[Typo3-doc] ref Table formating discussion

Sylvain Viart sylvain at ledragon.net
Thu Nov 11 21:10:30 CET 2004

Hi,

Jean-Marie Schweizer wrote:
>> Do you start to understand my point, about the nightmare of TYPO3
>> reference table formating ?
> It might be a nightmare to you. I can live with it because it contains
> the information that it needs.

May be you are now «used» to read it.

But when it's new it not so evident. Entries in most reference are even
not sorted, I haven't identified any pattern to explain how reference
table content are presented.

Technical manual need pattern, right ?

> Personally, I'm more concerned about getting the documentations to a
> point where the information that's in it can be found. Of course, design
> is important but structure even more.

This a kind of design but it's also related to structure the content at
more refined level, inside the document itself. Information when is
found if is not understandable is useless. ;-)

> If we can find a way how to change all the tables with a tool like
> you did to import SXW to Wiki than I'm up for it.
> But doin it by hand? No thanks.

Of course, if we go for a change, it will be processed by script. :-)

The problem is what could be improved ?

- Sort entries alphabetically.
- convert table to definition list ?
- add link to related element and reference for printing.
- Of course, more examples.

I propose to work on RealURL manual as an example. Is short enough, and
contains badly organized table reference. I've imported it into the Wiki:

http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/EXT/realurl/manual

When we got the new organized content, I will enter the job in my vim
script. :-)
--
Regards,
Sylvain Viart -- TYPO3 DocTEAM.