[Typo3-documentation] Installation Docs [was: german tutorial for installing typo3 3.6.1 onsuse 9.1]

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Thu Jun 24 06:52:16 CEST 2004

Hello Michael

> I think this is the main question. What do you mean with this? Is it the job
> of the TYPO3 installation documentation to explain how to install a
> webserver?

No, of course it is not.

But there are several reasons why it is still useful:

1. I rather base the installation documentation of TYPO3 on a clean
installation than on my Mac OS X that is loaded with programms and
features or my webserver that runs a funny apache (you know, Michael).

2. While setting it up myself I can write about it. Takes a little more
time but IMHO very useful.

3. There are a lot of questions in the ML that are not answered with a
simple TYPO3 installation doc. There is clearly a need for more, e.g.
PHP configuration, permissions, ImageMagick

The user should decide what is needed and what is not.

> I really like the idea of splitting this in two documents (at least):
> - LAMP installation
> - TYPO3 installation

It seems to me that it is too early to decide what structure is really
usefull. The good thing about wiki. We don't have to decide now. Once
the installation documentation is filled with information it starts to
get pretty clear what kind of structure is needed and what is usefull.

> As I already said, I'd like that you focus on the second part (since the
> first part has not really to do with TYPO3 and might already be written by
> someone else who has nothing to do with TYPO3).

If it would be written somewhere else than we could link to it. That
works for me too.

> Further, this second part would match almost any configuration which means
> that we have no more redundancy in any TYPO3 install manual (since it's
> obviously the only manual from this moment).
>
> Or was that clear already?!

To me it was.

Jean-Marie