[Typo3-documentation] Installation Docs [was: german tutorial for installing typo3 3.6.1 onsuse 9.1]

Steffen Mueller steffen at mail.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 23 21:51:09 CEST 2004

Hi.

I have been lurking the group for a while now, but just the fast way. So
please forgive me, if some points of my posting have already been
discussed and decisions made. Secondly, right now I just can spend 15
minutes for that, since the Euro2004 second half is not going to wait. ;-)

On 21.06.2004 22:32 Jean-Marie Schweizer wrote:
> Wow, all the sudden a lot of going on about the installation
> documentation. Great.
>
> Just to summarize and wrap it up from my end.
>
> 1. I think having one document for the installation process is the way
> to go.

I do not agree, as I prefer a more user based approach. In my eyes, this
should look like this: Have a look for the right doc for my
distribution, start reading it, follow the step-by-step instructions and
finaly and quickly get a running system. Some kind of Howto, like being
availiable at http://www.tldp.org. The more docs I have to get through,
the more uncertain I get.
At least, this is the way I (as a user) am prefering.

Of course there are several types of users (cracks, newbies, ...) and
several system types of the same distribution (e.g. a debian already
running as a webserver in opposite to an installation from scratch).
Therefore I would split up a doc a bit (e.g. quick + verbose install
sections and webserver/mysql/typo3 sections ...)

> 2. I agree that there is a lot of redundant information (RedHat, Suse,
> Debian and Mac) that is not necessary and can be eliminated.

see above.

> In order to have a good installation document good research is the base
> for it. I like to do that by going through every step myself and
> document it. Once I get that done it will be possible to write a clean
> document that gets rid of the redundancy. And  with your help  I hope I
> get it right.

That's the way I prefer, too. (Preparing a fresh debian at the moment
for the debian install doc :)

> Wiki is my prefered way to do that since others are able to make
> corrections and add to it.

Sorry, I again disagree. My prefered way of writing a doc is use
OpenOffice: a mighty tool but still easy to use and WYSIWYG. Have you
ever tried to search for strings in a html textbox, checked orthography
or resized an image in a Wiki?
Of course, a wiki seems to be more easy for multiuser writing. But this
should be possible with OO, too. Did anyone try multiuser versioning
with it?

> For right now, I am kind of standing by till some of the issues are
> resolved (Wiki to SXW conversion, approval of document structure etc. ->
> see todo list).

SXW to wiki conversion?

P.S. Sorry, the review of Lars' debian install doc hasn't made much
progress. I still lack of time.

--
cheers,
Steffen