[Typo3-documentation] german tutorial for installing typo3 3.6.1 onsuse 9.1

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Mon Jun 21 20:33:37 CEST 2004

Dear Peter,

>> One single document is ok for me but it shouldn't cover too much
>> uninteresting stuff which is only for one specific target group.
>
> Then you really mean that you want to have many different
> documents for installing?

As long as there is no overhead - yes. But that's just my opinion.

If we only had two different systems, say Windows and Linux, it could be ok
if they fit in one document.

But since there are so many different combinations I fear that this could
blow up the size and the clearness of that document.

To give you an example:

- adding a user to MySQL is always the same procedure, so this one belongs
to the overall document
- installing a Debian package with apt-get is Debian-specific
- fixing a problem with truetype support on SuSE x.y is specific as well

Does this make sense in your eyes?

>> In this case it does. You should consider that the Debian manual is
>> absolutely Debian specific. It is almost unusable for everybody else.
>
> And so are the Windows and Mac manuals too. But IMHO thats an
> argument for having _a_lot_ of different installation manuals,
> not just 1 + 1...

No, they're not. See above, I think MySQL is a good example. It just depends
on a successful MySQL installation, and once it is installed, it's always
the same.

Suggestion: What if you split the manuals into "(L|W)AMP installation" and
"TYPO3 installation"? The latter one depends on the result of the first
one, and it's possible that people already installed their webserver and
just want to use TYPO3.

In this case you could create as many "LAMP-on-my-Distribution" documents as
you like, but you could also simply link to an existing one since this task
is not very TYPO3-specific (see [1] for example).

> That print could be an extract of that _one_ install manual. It
> would probably be even better, since then you can also extract
> the general parts about mySQL, PHP and Apache and things like
> that (and dont have to try keeping two separate documents
> updated with the same info).

I don't like the last point, too. The Debian manual doesn't conflict with
this, there's almost no overhead.

Regards, michael

[1] http://www.hardcoder.com/scripting/php/guestbook/step1.php
--