[Typo3-documentation] Comments on june 15th version of the OTOC

Peter Kindström peter289 at telia.com
Thu Jun 17 13:43:08 CEST 2004

Hi!
>>> 4-Advanced Installation
>>> Needed ? Why not part of Troubleshooting at the end of Installation
>>> basics ?
>
> Or in between. My experience is that it is hard to keep the adavanced
> stuff from the easy stuff because as soon as the installation doesn't go
> smooth it becomes advanced.

I have marked it as "not needed yet" on the wiki. I agree
that we should wait and see what becomes of the Installation
Basic before deciding on this one.

> 1. Installation (and all documents) should be readable to a user (not
> only administrator or developer).

Agree! Even thought I think Administrators are the main
target group...

>> You are probably right! But if troubleshooting becomes big and/or very
>> detailed maybe there could be an idea to lift out some parts into a
>> separate document?
>
> IMHO it doesn't hurt to have a troubleshoot section at the root level.
> As long as it will be well structured. We can link from the specific
> manuals to the troubleshoot sections.

Ok. I have moved it from the root level to a sublevel, but
its still a separate section. If we see that its difficult
to separate User, Admin and Dev troubleshooting we could
make it a root level section again?

>> (I think that some deep tech details in the existing tutorials
>> interrupts "the flow" and should be moved to appendixes or separate
>> documents...)
>

> That's a question of determination and here we should not just consider
> the opinion of the gurus but also the ones from unexperienced users to
> find the right mix.

>>> 5- User Tutorials
>>> What is a "user" ?
>>> Maybe the Getting Started should go in Installation ?
>
> I much rather refer from getting started to the install manual in the
> appropriate section.

Agree. Maybe Getting started should mostly refer to other
documents like Installation, BE User manual, Tamplates &
navigation and so on?

But again, I agree that we should worry about those
"details" later on.

>>> MTB1-2&3 and FTB should go in Templates & Navigation (if we agree on
>>> that
>>> one)
>
> Maybe we end up with a little different structure between the Getting
> Started and MTB1-2&3 and FTB.

When Basic Installation is done, we maybe should discuss in
more detail what documents are needed next? I feel there are
documents missing on how to use and maintain Typo3...

(I think the results from that discussion could be the
roadmaps Kasper are looking for?)

>> Kasper suggests three "target groups": User, Administrator and
>> Developer. And I agree, this is a good and easy way to structure
>> documents by. Easy for us and easy for the visitor to know which
>> he/she belongs to.
>
> Shouldn't that already be obvious by the title? As a newbie I wouldn't
> start with TSRef, would I?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I mean "Getting started" could
also refer to getting started as a developer (thats what I
thought at first, since typo3.org is a very
developer-oriented site).

But of course good titles are important, but IMHO we should
not rely on them only.

/Peter Kindström