[Typo3-documentation] Comments on june 15th version of the OTOC

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Thu Jun 17 06:31:40 CEST 2004

>> 4-Advanced Installation
>> Needed ? Why not part of Troubleshooting at the end of Installation
>> basics ?

Or in between. My experience is that it is hard to keep the adavanced
stuff from the easy stuff because as soon as the installation doesn't go
smooth it becomes advanced.

I don't have the hang of it yet how to write that install manual. Some
things are important to me, though:

1. Installation (and all documents) should be readable to a user (not
only administrator or developer).

2. Structure and writing should allow skipping, so more experience users
can get on with it instead of getting bored.

Experience will tell what works and what doesn't. I don't worry about
that too much yet and just follow the step-to-step-style.

> You are probably right! But if troubleshooting becomes big and/or very
> detailed maybe there could be an idea to lift out some parts into a
> separate document?

IMHO it doesn't hurt to have a troubleshoot section at the root level.
As long as it will be well structured. We can link from the specific
manuals to the troubleshoot sections.

> (I think that some deep tech details in the existing tutorials
> interrupts "the flow" and should be moved to appendixes or separate
> documents...)

That's a question of determination and here we should not just consider
the opinion of the gurus but also the ones from unexperienced users to
find the right mix.

>> 5- User Tutorials
>> What is a "user" ?
>> Maybe the Getting Started should go in Installation ?

I much rather refer from getting started to the install manual in the
appropriate section.

I have a lot of thoughts about the getting started document (writing
style, design examples, references etc.) but I want to take on that task
later.

>> MTB1-2&3 and FTB should go in Templates & Navigation (if we agree on that
>> one)

Maybe we end up with a little different structure between the Getting
Started and MTB1-2&3 and FTB.

> Kasper suggests three "target groups": User, Administrator and
> Developer. And I agree, this is a good and easy way to structure
> documents by. Easy for us and easy for the visitor to know which he/she
> belongs to.

Shouldn't that already be obvious by the title? As a newbie I wouldn't
start with TSRef, would I?

Jean-Marie