[Typo3-documentation] 1 or 2 install docs?

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Mon Jun 14 06:13:19 CEST 2004

> 1. You could always refer to other documents. As the document
> looks today that is no problem, I think, but I have not read the
> Linux/Mac documents yet.

I agree, especially if the referenced topic is a huge topic to cover.

> 2. We have to think about the user - not about our selfs!

Well, I am thinking about the user. If I thought about myself I wouldn't
write 10% of what I did.

> Do you
> suggest one big document because _you_ think its better/easier
> or because _the_user_ benefits?

Of course writing is a personal preference and it will always be what
I_think_is_best_for_the_newbie.

> One big document for everything could be just too overwhelming
> for newbies, I think.

As too many documents are overwhelming as well.

> 3. I think its harder to maintain one huge document in the long
> run - we have to let many people have access to the document,
> simply because no single person can be an expert of every part
> of it. And that could be harder to coordinate than many
> different documents with one editor/expert each ...?

I only see it harder to write one big document. As far as maintainance
it seems to me that it is easier. Just think about all the redundant
data that have to be changed.

> Looks like we are getting quite a large document here... How
> many pages are we talking about? Todays installation guide is
> already 25 pages and the other installation guides are 36 pages
> in total.

I don't see a problem if the documentation gets up to 200+ pages, as
long as it helps the user to get along with the installation process and
he continues to use Typo3. Whatever it takes. If we manage to write a
documentation with 25 pages that covers it, just great. But I wouldn't
want to cut out important information just to make a doc smaller.

> I really dont like the idea of an 50+ pages Installation manual
> to show to newbies. What does a newbie think when he/she see
> that the Installation of Typo3 requires 50+ pages? I myself
> would probably go for another CMS...

Well, here it is. Everyone is different. I don't mind a huge
documentation as long as it is structured and I can easely find the
information that I need to get along. But spending hours trying to
figure out things that could have been covered by the doc, that's what
is frustrating... At least to me.

And here we are again. The age old question about how much to write in
the documentation. I'd like to judge that question by looking at what
there is now and the problems are with it. And go from there.

Jean-Marie