[Typo3-documentation] New Main page

Coby Pachmayr coby at _remove_ideaspring.com
Fri Jul 30 20:49:26 CEST 2004

"Peter Kindström" <peter.kindstrom at abc.se> wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1091212362.9697.typo3-project-documentation at lists.netfielders.de...

> > Peter - I'd be interested in hearing your (and others) opinion on my
> > proposed structure for handling, documenting, and implementing questions
> > just like these! In fact, if I had them when I created my sample page I
> > would have used them!  :-)
>
> You asked for it!  :-)

I guess I did! :-)

> I have followed all your postings with interest. In general I
> think your suggestions are in the right direction for the
> DocTEAM and wiki work.
>
> But I also think your suggestions sometimes is too "strict" (and
> too wordy :-) ). Sometimes they demand quite a lot of work to be
> done before anything can happen. But I guess they are to be
> considered as drafts, so that can be fixed I believe!?

I know they are often wordy... because that is how I think... my ideas flow
easier directly from my brain through my fingers... so it is how I *process*
ideas.  In real life, I am very verbal in processing... so no in NG I am
very "typo"-graphical! :-)

My intent isn't so much that it be strict ... in fact I hope others will
tweak my wiki page and the end result will be a consensus.  I think a good
example is XML - it requires a lot of *strict* structure, but the benefit is
incredible ... especially if you think about the possiblity someday of all
websites using standard DTDs and XML.  In other words, with structure
actually comes freedom... it just doesn't seem like it at first.

> Another point is that I think it will be difficult to get the NG
> to accept them. I think many people that stay in the Typo3
> community do it because of the freedom to do what they want. And
> the wiki is really something for them! I with this you try to
> rescrict them with boring, "unnecessary" rules!  ;-)

I see your point... believe me!  But I think the problem is unless we
change, we will always discuss the same problems.  As I put in my other wiki
page, the doc team process is beginning to show the same signs (though
earlier in the process) of developing the same problems/frustrations as the
application, documentation, and other ng's.

> But maby we could decide to use the way of working, but then
> just implement in under a longer period of time? Just to see if
> it works and if people will accept?
>
> I am thinking about not taking active part in the DocTEAM or the
> wiki progress anymore. But anyway I will stay in the newsgroup
> and join (enjoy!) the discussions. So I support you if you want
> to push this, but just by agree with you in writing and of
> course help you with the finishing touch!

That's a bit like holding the last piece of the puzzle and waiting for
everyone else to put it together isn't it? :-)  I say this kiddingly,
because I completely understand how you feel.

> And I will add your ideas to my own wiki! Hope that is ok?

It is fine with me... my ideas posted here are part of the COST (Coby's Open
Source Thinking :-) ) but I must have missed a thread or post... is this a
separate wiki you have, or a separate page on the wiki.typo3.org?

> (The first questions to vote about is:
>   - Should we use this method?
>   - How should DocTEAM members be elected?
>   - Election of DocTEAM members.)

So shall I add these pages?  *our* wiki or *yours* ?

-Coby