[Typo3-documentation] Short response... I promise! :-)

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Wed Jul 28 22:16:48 CEST 2004

You know there will be A LOT of work realising this, don´t you?
  ;-)  :-)

But in general I think this is a good idea, but (of course) I
have some things you may consider:

If you want anyone else (besides you) to do like this, you have
to have simple rules/procedures!

I think you should wait with the #C (Create newgroup) to see if
it is really needed. Maybe you could use the wiki Talk page instead?

You also have to solve the problem that many documents have
authors (read "Kasper") that have to be convinced to follow
these rules.

You/we need to find a Document "manager" for each document...

You/we also need to change the Extension Documentation Template,
if this should apply to Extension documentation too.

> Initial Steps to begin new document process:
> #A - Define/Write document update procedures and/or policies for updating in
> Wiki
>
> #B - Write a "How to use the documentation" document for newbies, which
> gives overview of document info and what the versions mean
>
> #C - Create newsgroup for document
>
> #1-->Quick/Minor clean up SWX, Version 1.0, List Dependencies (cms v3.6.0+,
> automaketemplate v0.1.0, doc_tut_templselect 0.1.0)
>
> #2-->Convert to PDF Release 1 (Skip HTML since Wiki will provide that, or
> keep if OOo or some TYPO3 plug-in makes this easy)
>
> #3-->Create Wiki version (version 1.1, Beta/RC) of document (not just
> link... is there a tool for this yet?)
>
>   #3A-->Bug database status checked for related items / issues, information
> Wiki-ed into "Known Problems"
>   #3B-->Newsgroup Discussions reviewed for FAQ's, Common Problems / Fixes,
> etc -- added to appropriate section of Wiki document version
>   #3C-->Document updates are made to "Corrections" section of Wiki document
> (includes spelling, code changes, etc.); format simple like p23 - Corrected
> spelling of "wrod" to "word"
>   #3D-->As corrections are made, document "manager" updates Wiki, applying a
> "color" to updates to indicate what has changed
>
> #4-->Document "manager" determines many problems, work arounds, bugs (or
> whatever) have been documented, prepares document for next "release"
>
> #5-->Wiki Document is updated, Change Log is Detailed (for major items, not
> misspellings) --> Converted to SWX/PDF/HTML (see comments above) with new
> version number, Version 1.1
>
> #6-->Wiki Document now becomes v1.2 beta, and Corrections section is emptied
> and process starts again at Step #1, or Step #C for new document.

I think this is a huge task, that will take months (even years)
to fully implement. But I still think it is the right way to go.
And if we just get #A and #B then we have something to start with.

Then we could start using the update procedure for a few choosen
documents to see if it works and is useful?

--

/Peter Kindström, DocTEAM