[Typo3-documentation] wiki2PDF already working there...

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Wed Jul 21 14:43:34 CEST 2004

>>>I don't like PDF for online reading, and I alsmost never print out
>>>documentation from the net - as it is subject to change too fast.
>>
>>We don't need PDF for online reading since that is what the Wiki is for.
>>PDF is for offline reading, downloading and printing.
>

> Ok, so we switch to using the wiki completely (in the long run)?

I would say so, yes. But, of course, there is still a lot to be done
till that is going to happen. And I don't think it will happen any time
soon. I would say it's a matter of several months the least.

1. Wiki has to prove that it holds up to the requirement of the users
and the community to be a source of informationen und exceeds that what
we have now with typo3.org SXW documents. Therefore...

a. It has to be structured (better that it is now)
b. It has to satisfy a broather audience, that is , not only developers
and TYPO3 cracks but also beginners.
c. It has to be maintained.

2. We need all the knowledge transfered to the Wiki and updated at the
same time. (Some documents probably can just stay the way they are -
mmhhh - maybe your idea of sxw -> wiki conversion is not that bad after
all) :-)

The main reason why I believe in the Wiki to be able to actually
accomplish this? IT'S EASY. I think, throughout all the different
oppinions that we all agree on.

And, it wouldn't be wise to serve to masters.

> Then we need cleanly defined ways to link extension repository and
> wiki at some point in the future.

Yes, we do. And we need help for that. Right now, we are just a handful
of people trying something new and we need many more to help us out if
Wiki should stand the test of time.

As it looks like it works. Although I think we should be carefull what
we discuss about, considering that Wiki is just at the beginning, I
welcome the new thoughts and doubts and willingness to find a solution.

Jean-Marie