[Typo3-documentation] Wiki->SXW - How far are we?

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Mon Jul 19 12:38:15 CEST 2004

Hi Edwin,

> I believe Jean-Marie is concerned, ...

Yes, you did understand my concerne. Too many times I've  been putting
my energy in things just ending up changing it later because something
wasn't considered from the beginning. I'm sure everyone of us has
experienced that before.

  That's why I appreciate Peter's concerne about the document structure.
I also agree with him that just waiting around doesn't help much either.

I don't want to be a party pooper but to me the conversion needs to be
considered now to see the limits rather than ending up changing
everything later.

If we weight the amount of work that is put in getting the Wiki to a
useful state it will take several hundered man days to do so. How much
does it take to write the conversion? Apparantly it's not that difficult
according to what I have read from the programmers. Maybe 1, 2 or even 5
days?

Of course, all this is only something to consider if we agree on needing
a platform apart from the Wiki where people could download several
documents and print them out, not page by page, but as a structured
document.

I also understand certain hesitation to write the conversion tool,
before the Wiki is done and ready. Probably too many times have there
been people that promised something and never delievered. The chicken
and egg thing, isn't it?

If we could agree on the same goal and how much it takes from each and
everyone of us it will be clear what needs to be done first.

Jean-Marie