[Typo3-documentation] Help or Advertising?

Justin Kramp typo3 at ideate.net
Sat Jul 10 06:33:29 CEST 2004

Good question to raise.  Personally, I responded to a question on the
list as to hosting options for typo3, and gave feedback regarding my
experience with one particular host.  My response was then added to the
Wiki...(by someone else).

In the t.english list, as you noted, as did Alex, this type of response
could be construed as advertising or at least endorsement, and I would
agree with the sentiment that the naming of specific hosts on the Wiki
probably is not the best policy; as doing so at least alludes to an
endorsement by the typo3 community, if not by the developer(s) (i.e.
Kasper et. al.) themselves.

However, as you said, it seems to be a question raised repeatedly, and
will continue to be, as individuals look for a new/transfer/compatible
host.  Of course, simply perusing the server requirements and doing some
basic homework, or asking questions of a potential host would do the
same, but not all users have that level of familiarity with
PHP/mySQL/server/etc requirements.

A much larger task would be to construct a matrix of hosts that are at
least *compatible* with typo3 (installable?), so as to not single out
particular hosting companies.  I dunno.  There should be a middle ground
somewhere, so that this experienced community can share their knowledge
about hosting and setup with those just getting started.

In any case, I apologize for not being a little more tactful regarding
my response to the list.  I didn't intend to promote the particular host
I am using currently - but I myself am always in the market to find a
better service and good pricing, and as I don't have much to contribute
about typo3 itself until I spend tons more time with it...thought I'd
chip in something related.

jlk