[Typo3-documentation] OTB Tutorial

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Wed Jul 7 20:36:02 CEST 2004

> Here, I must agree with Patrick. I find it strange, that there is 3 or more
> different manuals for actually doing the same. Therefore - we must make one.
 >
> However - people are individuals and has different ways of working.
> Therefore - if they do not like the one manual made for templates and
> navigation - they will produce one on there own. At least I think.
> Therefore - we must make several.

I agree with Peder, we should have several manuals about templates.

Today MTB1, 2 och FTB all put together would make a 175 page
document. And still there would not be anything about menues in
it! I think thats too big, dont you?

I think we should at least devide the template/menu information
into the following parts:
* Typo3 "Old" Template Basics
* Typo3 "New" Template Basics (TemplaVoila)
* Typo3 Advanced Templates
* Typo3 Menues and Navigation

And then we come to a point where we could se the site as up and
running and then we want to configure and use it:
* Typo3 Configuration
* Typo3 Introduction
* Typo3 Backend Modules

> I think, that we must provide:
> - one manual with the basic stuff that takes off where the installation
> manual for the dummy site ends. I actually did some writing for TOC for this
> once - but I see that little has been published on the WIKI.

Could you not publish your TOC? Maybe on the Administrator
manuals discussion page?
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Talk:Overview_Administrator_Manuals

> Beside that - we still have to find a way to tell people how to etc. change
> the look of a mailform, adding last update to there webpages, changing the
> look of searchpage. That is - when I include som extension - then how do I
> change the way they look. Basically - that might have to do with, how the
> pages are rendered inside Typo3 - but how can I change this using Setup and
> Constants.

I have an idea about that, some sort of a Typo3 Configuration
manual:
  http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Configuration

Much information probably can be gathered from some
TS-documents, but it should be written for an administrator, not
a developer.

> I have been going through the FTB - and really don't find the module that
> great. Still I do think, that Typo3 really needs some basic WYSIWYG
> template-building-stuff (and this remark has actually nothing to do with the
> documentation - so I'll stop here).

I think thats very personal. I really dont know if it is better,
but I find it much easiers to set up pages with it. Maybe
because I can use an already existing web page and more visually
make it an template. And I dont have to use so much TypoScript
to set it up - that IMHO is the big advantage for non developers!

> But, basically - I think we should avoid to many manuals. Or at least -
> clearly explain what the difference is between the different methods of
> building templates and when to use which method.

Agree. And by dividing by subject (template, menu, config) and
skill (basic, advanced) that should be possible.

/Peter Kindström