[Typo3-documentation] OTB Tutorial

Peder Borg Poulsen post at parkvej.dk
Wed Jul 7 19:43:26 CEST 2004

"Mathias Schreiber [K1net]" <ms at k1net.de> wrote in message
news:<mailman.1.1089211803.6385.typo3-project-documentation at lists.netfielders.de>...
> Patrick Gaumond wrote:
> > Hallo Mathias,
> >
> > One of the main complain about documentation is that people have to
> > look at 3-4 differents places when working on templates.

Here, I must agree with Patrick. I find it strange, that there is 3 or more
different manuals for actually doing the same. Therefore - we must make one.

However - people are individuals and has different ways of working.
Therefore - if they do not like the one manual made for templates and
navigation - they will produce one on there own. At least I think.
Therefore - we must make several.

> This is why I dislike the idea of having a document with all these ways
> inside it.
> Furthermore I think that such a big document might scare people off.
> And last but not least the true power of MTB and FTB only shows up when
you
> know how to build basic templates.

I think, that we must provide:
- one manual with the basic stuff that takes off where the installation
manual for the dummy site ends. I actually did some writing for TOC for this
once - but I see that little has been published on the WIKI. This manual
however I think is mainly made up from the GoLive tutorial - adding some
basic stuff to how Typo3 generates pages - and what it means to have som
static includes, what can I do with ressource-files etc.

Beside that - we still have to find a way to tell people how to etc. change
the look of a mailform, adding last update to there webpages, changing the
look of searchpage. That is - when I include som extension - then how do I
change the way they look. Basically - that might have to do with, how the
pages are rendered inside Typo3 - but how can I change this using Setup and
Constants.

I have been going through the FTB - and really don't find the module that
great. Still I do think, that Typo3 really needs some basic WYSIWYG
template-building-stuff (and this remark has actually nothing to do with the
documentation - so I'll stop here).

But, basically - I think we should avoid to many manuals. Or at least -
clearly explain what the difference is between the different methods of
building templates and when to use which method.

Just my 2 cents. I'll be outside if you need me. For once, the weather in
Denmark is nice.

Best regards,
Peder