[Typo3-documentation] OTB Tutorial

Mathias Schreiber [K1net] ms at k1net.de
Wed Jul 7 16:50:03 CEST 2004

Patrick Gaumond wrote:
> Hallo Mathias,
>
> One of the main complain about documentation is that people have to
> look at 3-4 differents places when working on templates.

This is due to the 3 different ways to build them.
I don't think we should put this in one document, but maybe refer to the
other manuals.

> My original idea was to centralize Go Live, Templates, TypoScript &
> beyond, Template Basics (the one from Marlie), MTB/1, TV knowledge in
> one place instead of updating those.

I'am not sure if this could work out. I have to sleep over this...
What I see from my perspective while doing Typo3 Training for such a long
time now that building sites with MTB and FTB have a lot of drawbacks.
a) It takes too much time
b) they only work out if you have that constellation of a typo3 dev, a
screendesigner and an editor.
    I never ever saw a company with that taskforce
c) they take an big amount of time to implement

This is why I dislike the idea of having a document with all these ways
inside it.
Furthermore I think that such a big document might scare people off.
And last but not least the true power of MTB and FTB only shows up when you
know how to build basic templates.

I don't want to market my work here, I only speak out of experience..
The basic idea was that I have to write training material anyways because I
got a rather huge training season ahead and only had to translate it to
english.

> So maybe your OTB is a chapter of such a document.

give me a day to think on this one...

> The other point I had in mind was that navigation is *part* of the
> same process hence the proposed name:  Templates & Navigation.

agreed, good point.