[Typo3-doc] TYPO3 document wiki organization with template

Sylvain Viart sylvain at ledragon.net
Wed Dec 29 09:36:33 CET 2004

Hi,

I've searched how to organize our document in the Wiki.

I mean, how a single document could be stored in multiple pages and what
navigation could be offered for that document.

TOC = Table of content

I think I've the solution.

Navigating on other MediaWiki site, I've found multiple example of some
interesting TOC template mechanism.

My idea, cloning the method I've found :

Using a Wiki a template to store only one instance of the TOC.

I will not describe what a wiki template is, but just know it can be
included in a page like an include in php.

The same TOC template can be presented in the first page of the Document
and in a navigation embedded in each page of the document.

See the example:
http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programmation_Java

And test here:
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Fr:Manuel_Redacteur
It is not finished yet.

On the Left you have the normal TOC form the page, which will be removed
by splitting the document into multiple pages. On the Right you have the
/template/ TOC which is included from 2 template :

* Template:Manuel_Redacteur_TOC_nav
Which wrap the TOC in a table right aligned:
** Template:Manuel_Redacteur_TOC

The second one, the main TOC, would also be inserted on the first page
of the manual.

The idea is to extract the content in template and keep it out of the
formating.

Would allow nice content oriented editing without all annoying
table/color tag wrapping.

The same could be used on the main structure and the main page of course.

For a document, I also propose to use a naming convention:

Document_name                for the entry page
Document_name/section_name   for any subpage

So we also could have a /special/ /page/ which could retrieve all pages
composing the document and build the TOC for us.

Now, I need some suggestion for a printing version of the manual, with
TOC and page number ?
--
Regards,
Sylvain Viart -- TYPO3 DocTEAM.