[Typo3-doc] DocTEAM first goal = the structure

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Tue Dec 21 21:05:17 CET 2004

Hi,
First of all I suggest that everyone (involved in this) should
read Kaspers document: "Typo3 Documentation Organization".

It is mainly about Developers documentation, but many of his
thoughts could, or should, be used for *all* documentation.

The down side is that this document is not very clear on how to
really organise documentation! It makes clear of what different
criterias and types of documents there are, but then it fails to
tell us which of those we should use for structuring! :-(

But in his document he identifies four different criterias to
categorize documentation around:
  - Relation (Core, Extension, Installation, Misc)
  - Target group (Users=Editors, Admins, Developers)
  - Type (Reference, manual, examples, tutorials)
  - Skill level (Beginner, Intermediates, Experts)

(I think that Relation could be changed to Subject and that ther
could be more/other subjects...?)

-----------

My experience is that a structure should be based on ONE
distinct critera. And I think it should be one of the above.

A few exceptions (max around 5 is my theory) can be tolerated,
but the more consistent (to the criteria) the structure is, the
easier it is for people to learn it - even if it isn´t thier
preferred way of structuring!

And my theory is also that you can never get a structure that
everybody likes. But you can get one that is easy to learn! And
I believe that a consistent structure is easy to learn.

-----------

So, as a result of this, I recommend that you try to write down
rules for where to put documents in the strucuture. If you get
only a few rules (say 3-5 short sentenses) then it could/should
be a good structure. But if you start with 2-3 rules, and then
have to add many exceptions - then I would say it is a bad
structure.

You should then take all the existing Typo3 documentation and
try to put it into the structure by following the rules. If you
still have 3-5 rules after doing that - and didn´t have to add
rules for all documents to fit - then I think it is a good
structure. Don´t forget to try to include future documents too.

----------

I have always tried to explain to people how I think when I
structure things. But this is the first time I have been able to
put it into words.

I believe this is the way I thought when I made my suggestion
for the wiki structure. I used the "Target group" critera and
did 3 or 4 exceptions: "Getting started", "Extensions", "Help,
tips & troubleshooting" and maybe "Projects" (they aim at all
target groups at the same time).
The other links (Doc matrix, About docs and News) are not really
part of the *documentation* structure, but are necessary for
other reasons.

/Peter Kindström