[Typo3-doc] hebrew documentation

Sylvain Viart sylvain at ledragon.net
Tue Dec 14 10:09:32 CET 2004

Hi Zorik,

Zorik Pavlenko wrote:
>>>However, the wiki site does not seem functional.
>>What is missing ?
> It looks like it is under development, unfinished product.

So you speak about our document organization, not the engine, right ?

typo3.wiki.org is the TYPO3 Documentation development tools.

MediaWiki, which is the engine we use to the wiki.typo3.org, should
support Hebrew.

http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%A2%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%93_%D7%A8%D7%90%D7%A9%D7%99

But right now I don't know if it can do it with the current
configuration, nor if it doesn't need a second full MediaWiki to handle
right to left writing.

Which is not excluded, of course. :-)

Could you test a MediaWiki in Hebrew install ?

I can next link it to our Wiki and even point a typo3.org subdomain to
it. :-) Or it could be hosted on our server too, or to some other sever
provided for TYPO3 community. I handle such detail.

> (don't get me wrong - I know it IS unfinished and under development, but
> this is not the site I can forward my customer to, because *I* can't find my
> way through it, and believe me I have bit more experience then they do) Why?

Of course our Wiki is really a development tools for the documentation.
And it may not reach the level of stability expected for customer. :-)

You're right about that.

> 2 reasons - why should they use wiki if they can find the *same* (plain the
> same) info better organized on typo3.org matrix?

The typo3.org Matrix should not stay in its current state. But the
programming behind it, is pretty heavy. We, at the DocTEAM, are working
on the TYPO3 documentation redesing on the Wiki.

Currently the DocMatrix on typo3.org doesn't support multibyte
character. I've asked for a Cyrillic manual upload and I has been told
about that point. :-(

The Wiki does support Multibyte. :-)

http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Sandbox#Hebrew

The Wiki can hold Client documentation for groupware and teamwork, but
wont offer the expected stability. For the moment at last. ;-)

> Notes, like "here we have to put this" and "there we have to put
> that"  makes anyone lose his way - I forgot why I came to wiki after 2 clicks :)

Oh yes, we know that. We are currently working on the Wiki structure.
Do you want to join us ?

>>>2. you suggest some way to publish docs on wiki site and fetch them
> I will explain. I have 2 goals - providing info to my customer the easy way
> + contributing to typo3 community and creating something useful not only to
> me (with your help of course).

Ok, nice. :-)

> If I cannot direct my customer to your site, so that he could easily find
> the info he looks for, I can direct him to my site and provide him easy
> navigation.

Yes, the good way I think.

> To reach the second goal - I have to publish documents on wiki or typo3.org.
> With excellent CMS TYPO3 I am able to fetch the manuals published on wiki
> and show them in my navigation structure (and possibly layout). This is a
> bizzare way to do it, but possible, isnt it?

Yes it's possible. So we need a Wiki which can hold Hebrew, right ?
Next you will, write the code to fetch Documentation on a remote Wiki
and display it on a TYPO3 web site.

Could be a really nice tools in fact, and be part of the DocTEAM staging
document system !

I would love to see it. :-)

If you could offer some support, I may find some developer to help on
this task. Not sure... But I could try. :-)

> What I have ready in hand is a full Direct Mailing manual for user. It is
> completely different from the english one and little customized too, this is
> why I did not publish it on typo3.org.

As I mentioned above, you may have trouble with the multibyte support.

Is the TYPO3 community in Hebrew large ?
--
Regards,
Sylvain Viart -- TYPO3 DocTEAM.