[Typo3-documentation] documenation group, DocTEAM, rules and organisation

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Sun Aug 1 08:11:07 CEST 2004

>>> But, it seems word have broken people motivation and cohesion here.
>>
>> Well, I can understand that. If I was in the position where I tried to
>> come up with a solution and worked on it for weeks (like Peter) and all
>> the sudden it's changed, I would be frustrated too.
>
> Yes, but opensource and community sharing movement always come up with
> frustration. The goal is not to fork at the first problem, and stay open
> for discussion.

Yes, in an ideal world we would have a working setup and lots of people
who work.

> By the way, the wiki have an history feature, which can bring back
> almost any version of a page. A try shouldn't hurt. :-)
>
> It's the wiki's way ! ;-)

Yep. I used it before...But that was because I messed up greatly with my
own article. :-)

> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Document_Team_Meetings
>
>> Although I think it is a very professional setup, I still prefer simple
>> statements, not many words, easy to read. That way it will be read.
>

> Yes, but TYPO3 is so big, so professional, that we need some kind of
> professional organization to keep it usable.

I think we were on a professional setup before the whole dicussion mess
started. Not that it was perfect, but at least it was ready to start
producing documentations that fit the goals.

But instead we ended up discussing about things that IMHO could have
been discussed later and I also got the feeling that it became more
about discussing than working.

> Even me, I'm lost in TYPO3 documentation and code, and I'm an
> professional programmer and a sysdamin. :-)
>
> I think something goes wrong, because it seems that we didn't use this
> vote and meeting feature before dismissing it.

That could be it. If I understood the purpose of voting about voting I
would have voted.

> It may seem complicated, but let's try and refine it to suite our style.
> It seems that all successful opensource projects have an enterprise
> directed guide line.

Maybe I should go back to my initial feeling that I should let people
who like to structure and discuss do what they like to do and wait till
they have decided that we are ready to start writing documentations.

My guess, that would not have happened any time soon.

I still don't think it can be that complicated to focus on a goal as a
team and follow some simple guidlines.

> Now that, the wiki is linked to TYPO3.org home page, and probably some
> URL have been posted into the english NG, we must be very professional. :-)

I wasn't really up for that anyway. It was ok for me to tell the
community but why link it to typo3.org? We don't really have a good
alternative to typo3.org yet.

Jean-Marie