[TYPO3-dam] [TYPO3-dev] DAM 1.1.5: Suggestion for ux improvement

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Feb 24 16:53:47 CET 2010

Thanx for the crossposting Jigal.

Den 23.02.2010 19:02, skrev Jigal van Hemert:
> I cross posted this to typo3.projects.dam, because that is a more
> suitable group (that's where the dam people live ;-) ).
>
> Please post answers to that group.
>
> Michael Birchler wrote:
>> It's realy nice that the Flash uploader is now included within dam.
>> But I think the ux could be improved.
>>
>> My first action for upload a file is go to dam file modul and switch
>> to upload tab (tx_dam_file_upload). In the modul "tx_dam_file_upload"
>> dam drops a warning message: "Flash uploader is enabled - to make use
>> of it, click on the upload button in the header of the File list module."
>>
>> My first thought was: Hm I need to enable the old file list modul? But
>> after some time of clicking I figured out that I have to switch to
>> "tx_dam_file_list" modul and click to the upload button there. Et
>> voila the Flash uploader is here.
>>
>> I have two possible solutions:
>> - First: if Flash uploader is enabled remove the modul tx_dam_file_upload
>> - Second: If Flash uploader is enabled remove the ols style input
>> upload buttons and preset a flash upload button.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Regards
>> Michael
>>
>> Ps: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=13635
>
> --
> Jigal van Hemert.

-1 to both solutions.

At the moment the Flash uploader don't have all the functionality the
tx_dam_file_upload has. Most important is that tx_dam_file_upload gives
the opportunity to batch process the uploaded files, something the Flash
uploader doesn't.

The possibility to set categories, copyright etc, in the uploading
process is important in a good workflow. Example, - you are going to put
3 more pictures in a categori based gallery. With Flash uploader it's
faster to upload files, but you has to set categories etc afterwards.
With "old" upload, you can do it in the uploading process.

So even if the Flash uploader is present, it will be lot of usercases
where the "old" Upload will be a faster/better solutions.

Until the Flash uploader have the opportunity to batch process files
after upload, I would prefer no changes. Or make a "link" in the warning
which changes to "List" and open Flash uploader.

Regards

Erik Svendsen