[TYPO3-dam] clean filenames at file upload on Windows

Mario Šargač sargac at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 16:07:30 CET 2010

Hello,

-------------- Short version ----------------
Is there an option to clean the filenames with umlauts and other special
characters generated basically on Windows file system, that I can use
with DAM, so that the file-names would be stored in ASCII, while
original file-name with special characters would go into "title" meta?

Best,
Mario

-------------- Long version (optional) -----------------

I've come across a problem with accented filenames on Windows system and
I hope somebody has a solution to it.

I'm using DAM for file management and complete UTF-8 setup (all DB
server connections and Typo3 setup as well: force charset and utf8
filesystem). The underlaying OS is Windows (2008 R2 server) and I
believe this is where the problem lies.

I experience a "two-way" problem -- here's the scenario:
1. When I upload the file with special characters (umlauts, for
instance) with DAM, the filename is not readable using Windows Explorer,
all umlauts and other special characters get strange multi-byte strings
represented as single-byte, while DAM title is correctly displayed.

2. When the file with umlauts and other characters is created directly
with Windows Explorer, and I'd like to index it with DAM, special
characters are not visible in file browser. There are question marks
instead.

I tried to disable UTF8filesystem, setting it to 0, as Krystian
Szymukowicz pointed out in one of his previous posts, but it didn't help
here. He also said modifying the
"binding/tce/class.tx_dam_tce_extfilefunc.php" file at line 328 and
enabling "cleanFileName" function would help, but I haven't tested it
yet, as the post is old and I don't think it's wise to modify the core
files.

There are no problems on Linux as the filesystem is entirely in utf-8,
but since I have to use Windows, I'd like to clean filenames at upload,
to solve the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion about the right approach here, and are
there already any configuration settings available I can use to solve
the problem with filenames on Windows?

Best,
Mario