[TYPO3-dam] Featue File Variants & extend dam_list_batch

Oliver Rowlands oliver at liquidlight.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 16:48:57 CET 2009

Hi list,

Whilst on the subject of language variants, we were recently asked by
one of our clients to implement multiple language variants of physical
files in the DAM. The resulting proof of concept extension (EXT:ll_dam)
can be downloaded from the following address:

http://www.liquidlight.co.uk/repository/ll_dam/T3X_ll_dam-0_0_0-z-200903051407.t3x

It has only been tested in conjunction with DAM 1.1.1

We did have to resort to XClass'ing a number of core DAM classes in
order to achieve the desired end result.

This extension alters both the back-end and front-end processing of DAM
media records.

In the back-end:

- Extends the DAM 'List' view to render indented localised records
(similar to the 'Localisation view' in the standard TYPO3 'List' view).

- Adds an additional 'Manage localisation' function to each record in
the 'List' view.

- Simplifies the DAM 'List', 'File' and 'Batch' interfaces (please note:
this might not suit everyone's needs...).

In the front-end:

- Alters the rendering of the <media /> tag.

- Provides an altered version of 'tx_dam_tsfe' (for use with TS
generated DAM record links).

 From an editor's point of view two use cases were considered:

1) The need to localise the physical files of existing DAM records: this
can be achieved by using a combination of the default DAM record
localisation and the 'Replace file' functionality.

2) The need to link language variants of existing DAM records: this can
be achieved by using the new 'Manage localisation' functionality.

The end result is not perfect but it could be used as a starting point
for further discussion.

Known issues are:

- Use case 1 will not work for DAM records which were localised before
EXT:ll_dam was installed.

- DAM records which are localised but whose physical file is not
localised will not get updated correctly if the default language file is
replaced.

On a side note: Jerome Schneider posted a patch (#0009271) on the bug
tracker last year which achieves a similar result. However it requires
the translated files to be placed in an 'un-indexed' localisation folder
with the same file names as the original records. Unfortunately in our
case scenario this was not a suitable option.

HTH

Oliver

--
Oliver Rowlands