[TYPO3-dam] dam & its usability

georg kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Tue Jun 16 00:38:38 CEST 2009

Hola all and Dan especially,

- I guess all of you know that dam and usability are no close friends.
- So there seems to be quite some space for improovement.

Dan just recently mentioned:
 > I sent out an email a while back to the DAM team about revising
 > the look & feel, and making some usability enhancements.
 > Since there was a lack of response, that has gone nowhere.
 > This needs some support in order to happen.

Which I can wholeheartly agree!

(I just customized a fresh dam-instance throughout the last 7 days with
some mixed results and even more mixed feelings after all - xclassing IS
boring.)

So here's my suggestion, as a first starter:
Let setup a wiki page IMHO @ http://forge.typo3.org/wiki/extension-dam
and collect the most annoying usability-issues & suggestions there.

During summer (not too far away) lets sum up and add priorities to those
and then lets fix them targeting autumn.

Looking forward your comments OR even better, the setup and initial
posts on the dam-usability-wiki-page.

I STRONGLY feel, that a USABLE Digital Asset Management System IS
essential for an Enterprise-CMS like TYPO3.
So in case this needs funding from the assoc. I'll be in the first row
joining the choir demanding for the above dscribed needs. - This aside
the fact that we (plan2net) will put manpower on the described effort
anyway.

regards georg