[TYPO3-dam] Media types and file types

georg kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Thu May 29 13:14:02 CEST 2008

Uschi Renziehausen wrote:
> georg kuehnberger wrote:
>

>> Options would be:
>>   'psd'    => 'image/photoshop',
>>   'psd'    => 'image/x-photoshop',
>>
>> & yes pls. add it in the bugtracker;
>> (wiser chapse/sses than me might decide on +/- x)
>
> Ok, do you have an idea what m4v should become? There we end up under
> undefined. The knowing ones should go through the current settings and
> add whatever file type (not necessarily mime type) is missing.
>
> Just to understand how it all works together: what is impact of setting
> it to photoshop or x-photoshop. What does the x stand for.

dunno; it's just what I found on some mime-type list;
guess 'image/photoshop' would be the save option;

>>> Well you *can* do it, I tried it out. I am just very unsure whether
>>> you *should* do it. As I had the idea, others might have it as well,
>>> and in case this has some bad side effects that should be mentioned
>>> in the docs. Can you or someone else be so kind and give me a little
>>> more inside?
>>> Ciao, Uschi
>>
>>  From a documentation point of view NO, this should IMHO not be
>> recommended. reasoning: The TYPO3-Developer should better use Georg's
>> / Francois's advice on changing it via the TCA, that is via an
>> Extensions;
>> reasoning: File-Extensions / MIME and Media-Types dont change that
>> often and are "somewhat" standardized. So it should IMHO rather NOT be
>> the task of an editor (or any person accidently owning
>> BE-admin-rights) to change those.
>>

> I somehow disagree with a policy 'Make it hard to do, so idiots won't do
> it.' As we see from the above examples (psd and m4v are missing right
> now) it might be necessary to assign unforseen filetypes to the
> appropriate main media type.

I thought it's about a recommendation in the documentation; thus I
suggested the above. Adding the list-edit option as an alternative to
the recommendation should suffice and would answer your initial question.

> Editors will have to be able to select certain file types and that
> means, they need to find them first. Their comfort should have highest
> priority.

I wholeheartedly agree on "easing" the work for editors. Thus I'd also
suggest to programmatically include as much file-extensions / mimetypes
as possible in the base-config, so that teh editors wont have to touch
that part at all.

> Therefore assigning a main type should be easy for everybody who needs
> to do it and is entitled to do it. No knowledge of PHP should be
> required for it. Perhaps we should put this one on our todo list?

There should seldome be a need to add another type, in case the above is
given; however ACK the need for ease and TODO list.

>> see also:
>> class.tx_dam.php
>> ---
>>     function register_fileType ($fileExtension, $mimeType,
>> $mediaType='') {
>>
> Does this method ever get called inside DAM? Can you tell me where DAM
> puts the media type tree together? Beware, I am not a coder, but there
> seems to be no other way to find stuff out about DAM but exploring the
> code.

hmmm .. now I'm confused as I cant find a single call to
register_fileType; sorry cant answer the above; anyone else to shed some
  light on it?

>> BTW-2: This "T3_VAR" "feels" extremely outdated; together with
>> Francois I'd vote for putting it into $TYPO3_CONF_VARS;
>
> Aaah, I had never heard of T3_VAR so far, so it is a history thing
> again. In this case I am with Francois and you, just because
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS is what everybody will be familiar with.

ACK;

kind regards georg