[TYPO3-dam] Converting traditional image field to DAM relations

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Fri Mar 2 10:45:18 CET 2007

René Fritz schrieb:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 09:38:17 Davide Principi wrote:
>> _We are talking about tt_content images_. I think to do the following:
>
> Yes
>
>> For each textpic/images tt_content record
>>   For each file in the "image" field (comma separated list)
>>
>>     1. copy the file from uploads/ to a target directory
>>     2. push the file in the target dir into the DAM index (why not?
>> assign a category? can I do it here?)
>>     3. create references
>>     4 (optionally) delete image field content
>>     5 (optionally) delete uploads/ original file.
>
> Sounds good
>
> Remarks to point 2.
> a) For a folder an indexing setup can be defined which will be used for files
> in that folder and can be used to apply categories. That way there's no need
> to apply a special category. On the other hand most people will not use/know
> that feature.
>
> b) Have a look for the function tx_dam_db::getMetaForUploads(). This can fetch
> meta data for "uploads" files from matching indexed files.
>
> Btw. If you think the update function is not the right place for such a
> conversion it could be placed in a Media>Tools module.
>
> René

Hi!
No it has to be available in the EM as an update function. You only want
to use it once at the beginning, cause all files are converted then..
But it also has to interact with those upload buttons on every BE page,
because everything that is uploaded has to be moved and indexed.

But don't forget: dam doesn't only take care about images, but you can
use it for audiofiles, texts (doc, pdf, rtf, txt, ..) and a broad range
of other files... So it may be difficult to decide whether a new
uploaded file should be placed only in a certain folder or whether it
should be assigned to some standard categories..

However: I would preffer something in fileadmin. Maybe
fileadmin/user_upload/income or something like that.. (is user_upload a
standard directory of T3 or is it only on my installation..?!?)

Greetings
Andreas