[TYPO3-dam] Handling multi-language files with DAM

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Mon Feb 26 09:53:05 CET 2007

Hi

> I have a suggestion / feature-request:
> Would it be possible to change the "language"-field in the tx_dam-Table
> (it´s a reference to static_languages) for supporting multiple languages?

That's not right. The field just stores an iso language code. The select box
uses static_languages.

> Background: I have to index catalogs and manuals which are often bi- or
> multi-lingual. (e.g. english, french & german in one pdf-File)
>
> The simple way would be using a comma-separated list in field
> "language", but I think using a mm-table would be the better way - which
> in turn would mean some bigger changes to DAM...

The language field is not used inside the DAM (i think) so in principle it
could be changed.

An own extension can redefine the language field to use mm tables. BUT don't
use sys_language.uid as reference!! Have a look in dam/tca.php and the
static_info_tables manual how to use the iso code as reference. This is
because the uid might change for an language. Yes, TYPO3 do it just the wrong
way :-(

While indexing the textLang services might set an iso language code for the
files content  which fill be written using tx_dam_db::insertUpdateData().
This might fail using mm tables.

René

--
COLORCUBE