[TYPO3-dam] Open files from filesystem

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Tue Feb 20 11:38:24 CET 2007

Hi

I'm not shure what you mean.

Do you want to open a file from the backend (Media>* modules) which should
start a desktop application like Photoshop?

This is not easily possible. It's just not possible because of how the web
stuff works (http protocol, etc) and/or the missing os support for ftp or
webdav.

Workarounds are possible, but not out of the box and not easily.

As I know Wikipedia use a system of helper programs to make such an
environment possible. Those helper programs needs to be installed locally.
One might develop an extension with an edit action using the wikipedia stuff,
or similar.

René

> Is there anyway to bypass the download-part when you open a digital
> asset from the DAM? What I would like to achieve is as if you'd
> double-click on a file in a filesystem - it opens in it's creating app
> directly. Not that I find the existing method for opening assets wrong; -
> the described
> one above would just suite my needs better.
>
> Would the file:/// protocol suffice? How could I integrate it?
> I'd store the files in the document root, so the files would not be
> "out of range".
>
> Any ideas anyone? :)
>
> Best regards,
> Christo