[TYPO3-dam] DAM Development Model

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Thu Feb 15 12:30:10 CET 2007

Hi

DAM development is again in big discussion, in particular since my plans to
finish the 1.1 Version in january didn't match with the reality.

I'm also not very happy with the situation and changing the development model
was my plan anyway when 1.1 is released.

One mistake was to make DAM such a big thing or to develop it alone. DAM is
currently about 35000 lines of code! One might not expect to get such a big
thing when talking about a DAM system for TYPO3. But the current version is
more or less my vision of such a system.

The development was done by me alone, that was not a must, but it is simply
reality. Only one person contributed code, bugfixes and ideas (thanks to
Daniel Thomas!). Apart from many 'Big thanks' emails (thanks for that)
feedback in any form was very little, so I followed my own ideas.

Second thing, not surprisingly I need to earn money, so development depends on
paid projects which is against any continuity. Nevertheless I spent tons of
unpaid hours to bring this beast to life. I can not and will not do that
further.

I think the upcoming 1.1 version is a good basis for future development which
can be splitted into smaller projects. Those projects don't have to be
developed by me necessarily.

I still want to develop DAM but in your and in my interest it can't depend on
me only. But even when this is suggested already I don't see a solution
instantly. It's no problem to put DAM in subversion but a coordination must
be established. Open it as a playground for everybody is not a good thing in
my eyes.

There are many things to do like adding DAM support in most used Extensions,
for example. Those things can be done. But I don't know which extensions they
are. What are the most wanted features? Things that needs to be cleared no
matter how development work in the future.

I heard more often that companies plan to use DAM as a main part in projects.
I understand that continuity is important then, but this will work only when
money is available indepently from any projects (whoever get's the money).

That's my thoughts for now. I hope that we'll find a solution and establish a
better DAM development model.

Have a nice day
René

--