[TYPO3-dam] Dam cronjobs, indexing and indexed search

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Wed Feb 14 11:56:05 CET 2007

ben van 't ende [netcreators] schrieb:
> Nico Potvin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a possibility to set a cronjob for automating indexing in the dam?
>> Beacause i noticed that there is some delay between the indexing of a
>> file and when it was uploaded. this is probably normal, but just to know
>> how and when does the indexing work? And is it possible to search
>> through the index of the dam via indexed search?
>
> Hi Nico,
>
> I think indexing by cron could always ne done. This is what the manual from DAM
> 1.1 beta3 says:
>
> Media>Tools>Cron Job
> This module is similar to the indexing module with the difference that the
> indexing setup can be saved to be used as a preset for a cron script. The cron
> script itself can be called periodically or triggered by some event to index new
> files automatically while operating in the background.
>
> I haven't used cron for indexing myself yet, but the possibilities are there.
>
> gRTz
>
> ben
Yes. It's possible, but I can't recommend it. If you start the cron
every 5 minutes (to get all the new and uploaded files) and have about
900 files in your fileadmin, the cron instance will take about 30
minutes to run.. Every time were one cron process is running, your
server will get slower noticable. This means: If you use the cronjob,
your website will be a lot slower. It's easier to use only dam
integrated upload functions in T3.. However: You can start the cron once
per day at midnight or so.. This doesn't affect your website speed but
indexes also files that are uploaded via FTP..

If you want to use it: The cron comes with an own ext afaik.

Andreas