[TYPO3-dam] DAM - reflection on "kill mod_file"

georg k georg at georg.org
Sun Apr 15 00:11:45 CEST 2007

Ahoi Rene & all DAM-Users + -Experts,

Let me rephrase the subject:
     "mod_file vs. mod_list - deathmatch"
or better:
     "Lets get rid of mod_file, in favor of mod_list";

This might read a bit strange, however I like to get your opinion,
before I (or given you) call myself nuts.

WHY:
- mod_file provides only a subset of information + functions mod_list
does too (and better, as for relying on tx_dam records).
- mod_file is MAINLY relying on information from the file-system which
IMHO is bad from an CMS-, Editors- and Sys-Admins point of view.
- mod_file "feels" a bit orphaned (code + function-wise).
- mod_file is missing quite some very important functions mod_list
offers. (Languages, Translation, Versioning ...)
- mod_file's extensive calls to the FS for information that's already
available in the DB are lame.
- It makes no sense to force the Editor to switch between mod_file and
mod_list in order to complete the most standard tasks at hand, which in
the most cases is pretty simple:
     - upload + add meta-data
     - modify or translate meta-data
- maintaining mod_file + mod_list at the same time seems to be
ridiciuolus. (Rene & Developers workload-wise).

WHY-NOT:
- mod_file offers create-folder- & create file-functions (which the
avverage editor should not really need).
- mod_file optionally provides filesystem-information (RW), which
basically is useless to the avverage editor.
- Simply enabling mod_file for the avverage editor seems to be the best
option when migrating from classic typo3-file-handling;

HOW:
- MUST: Add the File-Uploads-Function / Tab / to mod_list.
- MUST: Add some config-options (blind functionality) to mod_list so
that it looks / acts like the current mod_file "view" for editors, which
is IMHO the most usable dam-interface for the avverage editor.
- OPTION: Add create-folder- / create file-functions to mod_list.
- OPTION: Add the R/W - File-System-Information as an (admin-) option to
mod_list in case needed at all.

MY PERSONAL ESSENCE:
- Media>File feels a bit outdated, however it's currently the "best"
Interface for "normal" Editors, as for it's clean and usable interface,
providing an optimal ammount of information, options & functions.
(actually only uploads, translations + versioning are missing).
- In other words I feel that, Media>File could be removed completly
(depricated) in favour of a Media>List Module with the above mentioned
changes.
- Putting it the other way around, would mean to add language &
versioning capabilities to mod_file and mantaining it as a separate
instance. I feel that this makes even less sense.

Your thoughts?
Would you miss mod_file in case the above "HOW"-s are given for mod_list?

regards georg