[TYPO3-dam] DAM 1.1 beta01 for download - (dam_downloads)

Karl-Ernst Kiel kekiel at kekiel.de
Sun Nov 26 22:15:26 CET 2006

Hi!

 > Karl-E. Kiel wrote:
 > The dam_downloads plugin by Daniel Thomas has a DAM FE search [...]
 > Currently I´m coding a modified (re-build) version which offers
 > selectable categories and search in this subselection.

>> Franz Koch wrote:
>> PLEASE contact and send your modifications to Daniel Thomas or whoever
>> is maintaining the extension now and DON't upload a new extension to
>> TER - even if it is easier.

 >>> Ingo Renner wrote:
>>> I totally agree:
>>> http://news.typo3.org/news/article/about-extension-maintainance/

I also agree. When I started out modifying dam_downloads I marked all
changes very thoroughly, planning to send the modified version to Daniel
Thomas. Then I heard that some other guy had tried to contact the autor
- without success. So as the modification came to a certain extend I
skipped the plan because my project had to be "up an running" in a short
timeframe.

Having a stable, well documented, "fully featured" (whatever that means
- maybe meeting 95% of the amout of our demands) and extensible (to add
the missing 5%) dam_download would be great!

Until now (DAM 1.0.x) I had the impression that building an extension
(and a website) using DAM was like building a house on sand.
But now as DAM 1.1 is coming up the situation may change and it´s time
to start a new attempt.

So I´ll
- send a copy ot this mail to everone I know working on/with dam_downloads

- open a new thread in the DAM newsgroup about the "future of dam_downloads"

- meanwhile keep working on my own version for two reasons:
1) To get experiences in developing Extensions and using DAM / DAM API :-)
2) My project has to "up and running" in one week and there are still
some speial features missing :-(

So - please take part in this discussion in the DAM mailing list/newsgroup.
Topic will be: "dam_downloads - Future and Features"

Greetings,
Karl-E.