[TYPO3-dam] OT: constants editor

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed May 10 14:57:25 CEST 2006

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:

> The reason there is a constant editor is that you have a clear interface
> to common settings for an extension/template with explanations,
> choice-boxes etc. I cannot send customer-admin to the "object browser",
> he will go mad. :) I think the constant editor is nice but can still be
> improved a lot. This matter of pointing to a file instead of uploading
> it being one of them.
>
> But this is getting offtopic, and maybe matter for the next "zap the
> gremlins" session.

The constant editor has IMHO two main issues:

1) Odd way to configure with inline comments with no support of i18n (and
hard to come by documentation and strange categories)

2) No way to edit a constant for non-admins.

Ad 1) I suggest XML to describe the *possible* constants, its possible
values and its description. Storage of the actual values in TS as it is now.

Ad 2) Kasper said it's easier to secure the setup if only admins can access
the constants editor. Of course he's right, but OTOH I have now to make
unexperienced users to admins, so they can access the constants editor!

Masi