[TYPO3-dam] DAM & multilinguism

Achim Eichhorn achim at die3.net
Tue Aug 22 00:35:56 CEST 2006

Hello Laurent,

first of all, I am sorry, that I don't have a solution to your special
problem,
but I think, it is related to a problem, I posted a few weeks ago
and I think it should considered together.

So far I understand, DAM localization is build on typo3 standard
localization
features. Somewhere in  Rene's docs you can find which fields can be
localized, and which fields
will be the same for every language. So there is one record for the standard
language and for
each trnaslated! record another localzed record, which has a pointer to his
parent.

... I will now repeat our problem in short, perhaps there is a way to to
bring this all together
and produce a common sollution... ?

1. Situatuion:
Our customer has a database with about 3000 pictures, every year there will
be approx
150-500  new pictures. This pictures are stored in DAM in different folders
300, 150 and 72 dpi.
Addionaly we have got a csv-file, which holds for each picture localized
meta data in four languages.
Indexing should be done in one step!

2. We are using DAM file module for indexing and are currently implementing
a module
which can scan the csv-file for an specific asset file and then we are
adding the additinal
meta data to the record for this specific file (this will be done during
standard indexing,
Rene has described this already...)

But our problem is:

3. What is the standard way during DAM indexing for creating multi-language
Meta Data?
Currently we are only creating records for the standard language (in our
case german),
but what would be the way to create the other language records?

I thinkt we should forulate exactly, wha we need:
my needs would be:

1. An API for multi lingual indexing of DAM. Assets. (And a common way, how
to index multlingual content...)
2. Translation of categories (to tell the truth, I was not aware of this
'til you mentioned it..!)

Perhaps you could express your needs in such short sentences, too?
I think this would be a good initial point for starting a discussion about
changing the DAM.

Greetings Achim.

news:mailman.7349.1156191228.24118.typo3-project-dam at lists.netfielders.de...