[TYPO3-content-rendering] Accessibility: File Links

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Thu Aug 18 16:06:40 CEST 2011

Hey,

On 18-8-11 16:02 , Patrick Broens wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 18-8-11 13:17 , ben van 't ende wrote:
>> Heyla,
>>
>> Can't that be a generic like just mentioning "file: filename.odt" and
>> when using
>> FAL taking the title? How do you suggest to fill the alt attribute atm
>> then? By
>> hand? There needs to be some kind of default.
> Nope, it's about the icon/thumbnail in front of the file link. It has to
> be described, so people know what the icon is all about. Your suggestion
> could be the title, but not the alternative text. It does not tell
> anything about the icon/thumbnail
>
> It could be generic like "File link icon" / "File link thumbnail" when
> nothing has been filled, but filling an alt automatically does not make
> it that accessible as it is supposed to be.
Just tried to have a generic one, with the file name, but WAVE (WCAG
validation) does not like that as well (warning, not error). As a matter
of fact, you are not allowed to have the same alt on the page and it's
not recommended to use a file name.

But on the other hand, like for regular images, people SHOULD fill this
field properly when they want to be accessible. You can't force that.

Patrick