[TYPO3-content-rendering] HTML 5

Andrei Eftimie andrei at eftimie.com
Fri Oct 2 15:27:30 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I found this mailing list after visiting this page
http://typo3.org/teams/content-rendering/news/ about the group.

I have been using Typo3 for 3,5 years now, and always wondered why is
choose to render content as XHTML (and doing it wrongfully for the
most part).

I want to propose to ignore XHTML altogether, and stick to HTML 5.
HTML 5 is the future. Although you probably will be able to use
something like a XML serialization of HTML 5, why bother?

HTML has more lax rules than XHTML (who has a very strict no-error
policy, which is almost impossible to achieve on any project that lets
non-developers to manage content).

With Typo3 V5 being a fully new code-base, wouldn't it be better to
have a more future-based implementation. We actually use the HTML 4.01
elements and rules and only apply new HTML 5 elements as it gets
really supported (it may be 5-10 years from now until some features
become standard, but by already having all code as HTML 5, it will be
just a matter of implementing that particular feature, not an
overhaul).

I would like to know this group interest in HTML 5, and how to
contribute, or push the idea of using HTML 5 as a standard for Typo3
V5.

Thanks for your time.

--
Andrei Eftimie