[TYPO3-content-rendering] RFC: Let's discuss the "default frame" in 4.3

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Jun 16 01:46:13 CEST 2009

Hi,
> Has to be padding-bottom since it's the content-box inside the frame that
> should be moved relatively to the boundaries of the frame. If you use margin
> instead, this will raise another problem, since margins don't add up to each
> other, if the browser is rendering stuff according to W3C standards.
> i.e. having a box with after=25 and another one following with before=25
> will result in a margin of 25 and not 50.
> On the other hand it depends if the editors are using the same logic as the
> W3C (then margin would fit) or a more "natural" approach, then they would
> expect 50 px between the items.
>
> So what's the logic TYPO3 should be using?

if you ask me - it could be dropped completely. It's the job of the
layout/css to take care of suitable spaces. It's nothing a editor should
mess with. If there are different spaces needed for what reason ever, a
section-frame with predefined css class is in my eyes the best and
cleanest solution.

using "margin" for the spaces causes the already mentioned "misbehavior"
that margins don't get summed up - so only the largest value will be
used (at least in most browsers). Using "padding" would solve this, but
raise another problem if used in combination with section-frames, as the
inner padding of the frame would change and most likely break the layout
of the frame.
So as I said - it could be dropped in my eyes (I at least always hide it
from editors).

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch