[TYPO3-content-rendering] [TYPO3-core] RFC #8070: Feature: CSS styled content / scalable rendering of images

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Thu Dec 11 15:06:15 CET 2008

Hi,
> But I have some question about the "em-sized-images" in general: I can
> imagine that the calculation the browser does is always a "compromise"
> and never "pixel-exact". After all the browser will need to define how
> many pixels wide the picture will be to display on screen. We usually
> get pictures from agencies which are already scaled to the correct
> (px-)size. How can I make sure the browser doesn't make any unnecessary
> "resizes" if I give its size in "em"? Or imagine a logo, some icon or
> other stuff. Won't it look "ugly" if incorrectly scaled by the browser?
> Assume only "normal sized".

If the css is done right, in "normal" environments you should get a
pretty exact pixel match. You can define in your CSS that 1em equals
10px or maybe 12px. Based on that you can use em-values matching
equivalent pixel values.
But the ideology behind is, that it doesn't have to match every pixel or
predefined with, because the images adopt accordingly.
And as with every feature - you don't have to use it if the customer
insists to have a certain pixel width (those customers don't want a
fluid layout anyway).

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch