[TYPO3-content-rendering] [TYPO3-core] RFC #8070: Feature: CSS styled content / scalable rendering of images

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Dec 11 14:50:05 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper wrote: on 11.12.2008 12:29:

> Martin Kutschker schrieb:

>>> as i see there is one place where calculation is need: textpic
>>> For calculation px are needed. For using em, a scalefactor is needed to
>>> recalculate to px. So % doesn't make sense here.
>>>
>>> At any other places you can use bananas as dimension as it's only passed
>>> through.
>>
>> I'd like to discuss possible HTML/CSS setups and then see what TYPO3 can
>> achieve.
>>
>> I'm not sure if Ralf and Franz are trying to do the same thing. But I
>> hope that different approaches can be implemented easily in one sweep.
>>
>> Masi
>
> i did a forward to this group, so discussion can take place here.

I like the idea.

But I have some question about the "em-sized-images" in general: I can
imagine that the calculation the browser does is always a "compromise"
and never "pixel-exact". After all the browser will need to define how
many pixels wide the picture will be to display on screen. We usually
get pictures from agencies which are already scaled to the correct
(px-)size. How can I make sure the browser doesn't make any unnecessary
"resizes" if I give its size in "em"? Or imagine a logo, some icon or
other stuff. Won't it look "ugly" if incorrectly scaled by the browser?
Assume only "normal sized".

Cheers,
Ernesto