[TYPO3-content-rendering] What to do with the (old) standard templates?

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 13:18:56 CET 2006

Kai Laborenz wrote:
> ben van 't ende [netcreators] schrieb:

>> The deprecated ones can go immediately I think. Lets use this as a
>> starting point. We can not only improve/modify the current ones, but
>> also make new ones.
>>
>> What do you think?
>

> Yes, I think this is a good idea (Ben: always one thougt ahead ;-)...).
>
> I know there are some people making TYPO3 templates (a.e. this guy:
> http://www.exotec.de/) Maybe some of them would like to donate one or
> two templates if they go into the standard package...

Guys,

this has all been said and not done before:

We will probably not ship with any templates in the future releases,
everything has to be packaged either as an extension or a package for
import.

I did propose creating new templates a long time ago, but as usual,
there was little to no feedback/help and so the project died. Look for
example templates in TER, I did make some and even started a TS std lib
(for the usual list-based menu, stdfooter,etc.) so people would not have
to reinvent the wheel. You can see my posts in the typo3.design archive.

I don't think we need many templates, as one 3col-layout can easily be
styled and nobody really needs out-of-the-box-templates for TYPO3
(except for testing purposes). The main purpose of new templates should
be to show off a lot of TS features, thus somewhat replacing the
testsite packages.

If any of you wants to continue, drop me a line and I'll cheerfully hand
the extension development over.

Cheers,
Michael