[TYPO3-content-rendering] TYPO3.org

Andreas Schwarzkopf info at meinsystem.de
Sat Feb 18 18:23:49 CET 2006

Hi Ben,

ben van 't ende [netcreators] schrieb:
> Hi Guys,
may be some girls read it too ;-)

> I raised my hand for helping getting the layout and output ok for
> TYPO3.org. This is ofcourse a very good showcase for what TYPO3 has got
> to offer. Content Rendering Group to the rescue ;-)

good work! thank you for your contribution. The new site is a feast for
the eyes.

> Could we please gather some suggestions here? Can someone put up a page
> on the wiki for that? There where some relatively easy to implement
> changes like for blur and 'skip navigation' suggested already. What do
> you think about the width of the site? Should we go for XHTML strict? I
> think so.

I think xhtml transitional is enough, strict means more work and gives
no additional benefit for anybody. Some important attributes like
target="_blank" are not possible at all, so a sponsor link will replace
the site in the browser.
Though validation is important, now it is html 4.0 with xhtml source...
Also some standards like filled alt / title attributes and putting css
and javascript in separate files would bring more benefit for all.

Standard compliance and CSS orientation is important, but strong
accessibility could be hardly achieved. So, some important accessibility
eatures useful for all would be very nice, but not 100% of the
requirements. That would be not realistic because of lots of
contributors and sources (e.g. extension repository) and would only
frustrate the contributors and maintainers.

The width is too small (800x600 is used by < 5% of users). It should be
scaled ideally, may be made wider or at least centered. Now it fits in
the left half of a usual monitor. That's why some extension records poke
out.

> It is fine to discuss some stuff here, but I would also like to see some
> people actually do something. Please bear in mind that there are a lot
> of people that have already put a looooot of time into the new website
> and the new TYPO3 version. Consider if this is the time for you to
> return something as well.

Please let me now if I can help with something.

Regards

Andreas