[TYPO3-content-rendering] Fieldset around radio-button group

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Apr 7 11:01:50 CEST 2006

>> decision. Why didn't you step in much earlier, push some topics to
>> find a solution for them?
>
> That's exactly the point. Stepping in after rc3 to engage in (nice)
> improvements seems little late, sry.
>
> Please stay with it and help improve everything even mor for 4.0.x
> and 4.x

Sorry, dudes, but that's exactly not the point.
The point is, that you are going to ship a version that is still full of
blockers.
Unfortunately I didn't have very much time to find all the bugs, but I have
been testing 4.x much longer and even been part of the "bug fixing party".
If I reported some of the bugs after RC3 and not earlier this is due to the
fact that I found out some of them accidentally just by using this new
version for completely other purposes.
This way I found out, that you will loose all image captions, if you have
been using caption split (which happens very often).
At the same time I recognized that imageblocks with more than one column
were scaled to down to a much lower size.
While visting wmdb I talked to Marc Bastian and he told me about the
fieldset problem and that you are still refusing to accept, that hardcoded
fieldsets are a "no no!".

This all happened during the last few days, but it doesn't change the fact
that all these things are blockers that not just IMHO but in the opinion of
many others too should prevent the current version from shipping.
Changing the severity in the bugtracker doesn't change these bugs to be
blockers, it just shows that you seem to underestimate the severity in
favour of shipping the new version at all costs.

>> Let's wait for the feedback first. Even after my reminder I sent
yesterday,
>> nobody took responsibility to find a perfect solution for this specific
>> problem with the fieldsets.

This is definitely wrong: Yesterday 17:05 I posted this one:
    I will see what I can do for a working solution - already got
    something in mind but I think it will take a few hours more to
    create a setup that will be worth making it into 4.0.

Nobody answered yet, except Mr. Stucki who just ignored this offer and
implemented a patch still leaving the original problem intact.
Sorry guys, but especially when it comes to accessiblity many of you should
definitely read my signature - and read it twice!

>>> Since this is open source and not the product of a commercial company
>>> there is no boss forcing the developers to keep any deadline.
>> Agree, there were better reasons to do it.

@Stucki: I really would like to know which "better" reasons you had in mind.
Reasons that are good enough to ship a new version that will break the
output of a few 1000 websites worldwide after updating.

>> I suppose your problem is mainly number #3005 about the
>> removal of captionSplit. What speaks for this being a "blocker"?

@Stucki: The fact that you are asking this question shows that you might not
be the right person to decide what should be a blocker and maybe you can't
understand the severity of some bugs.
Imagine a website with a few hundred images using captions and the "old
school" caption split but NOT CSS-styled-content. Instead they are using
custom TypoScript (which is true for most of the professional TYPO3 agencies
I have been working for). They do an update to 4.0 and - guess what - will
loose all captions, since captionSplit has been kicked completely.
Depending on the way they have been using TypoScript it will take them
between a few minutes and a few hours to repair what you have broken,
assumed that they will be able to find out where the problem is.
Let's say it will be an average time of 30 minutes to fix 1 site including
tests of the fixes. Let's say there are just 10% of the sites done with
TYPO3 using this feature. Still some thousand sites to be fixed, and thus
some thousands of working hours that are wasted to fix the things you broke.
Can you imagine the amount of money this will cost? - If you think this is
just a "minor bug" and not a blocker IMHO you have proven that you are not
the guy who should take these decisions.

>> We can try to improve the problems that will be criticised, but
>> here I have the feeling that your main problem is that you are
>> not part of that team, too.

@Stucki: Interesting to read this. Since this is exactly the same answer I
got from Kasper when criticising how TYCON3 was conducted.
It seems that you guys overestimate the attraction of your positions and the
level of envy people might feel that are not in these positions themselves.
In fact I don't care if I'm part of the CORE team or not. What I wanted to
say is that it doesn't make any difference if there is a representative from
the content rendering group in the CORE team, as long as you guys are
treating problems the way you do it at the moment.

BTW: I have got a working solution for the fieldset problem based on
TypoScript only. It will only work if you are willing to kick those ugly
hardcoded fieldset around radiobuttons though. But as far as I understood
this has to wait until 4.1 so I guess you are not interested, are you?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de