[TYPO3-content-rendering] [Typo3-dev] Re: Smart Content Rendering

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 25 19:13:44 CEST 2005

Joerg Schoppet schrieb am 25.10.2005 15:19:

> I like this idea of remodelling, too. As written in the actual
> PHP-Magazin (German) e.g. ezPublish is underway to make a complete break
> and develop a totaly new ezPublish with all the possibilities special
> for php5 (OO, error, PDO, and so on) (see:
> http://www.php-mag.de/itr/ausgaben/psecom,id,287,nodeid,60.html).

Also happened in the Gallery project (http://gallery.sf.net). Gallery-1
was done in the already cited "pragmatic" way, but it came to a point
where the author (Bharat) decided that it wouldn't make sense to
continue developing on that base. So he wrote it completely from scratch
(Gallery-2). But this took him around 3-4 Years.

I would multiply that with 5 for TYPO3, so I guess this is rather
utopic. Or not? It has been discussed many many times, noone has done
anything in that direction (or have they?).

And if we do that, do we need backwards compatibility? Maybe it would
turn out just fine as in the Gallery project, where G1 and G2 are now
being developed in paralell, by different development teams (the
"pragmatics" vs the "extreme-programming-fans-and-wannabes")?

Cheers,
Ernesto