[TYPO3-content-rendering] Extension PHPTAL - Another way to cleanup extension code from extreme rendering code

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Mon Oct 24 15:15:54 CEST 2005

Hi,

I just uploaded the PHPTAL template system to the repository.

Why PHPTAL?

I will use this system as my template system of choice for all xhtml/xml
rendering stuff now, because it HELPS the developer to write nice code.

What's wrong with the TYPO3 template system?
If you write extensions that render to html, xml or any other format you
have to write many code with the traditional style TYPO3 template api.
You have to fill array, substitute them,...
It's almost a not really nice way of coding.

PHPTAL mean PHP Template Attribute Language and is a extreme powerful
template system that is written on the drafts of ZOPE TAL. There are
many other implementations for scripting languages like perl,...

TAL enriches xml documents with tags that are substituted by setting
variables due an api and execute the processing. The use their own
namespaces for their attributes.

I think using the PHPTAL system will reduce the template code inside the
  extensions and - that's more important - the code will look much more
better.

If you like to learn more PHPTAL, see [1]

[1] http://phptal.motion-twin.com/

Ps: I've packages the version for PHP4